Sharad Navratri 2023: Day 2 of Maa Brahmacharini
Navratri is a festival which is celebrated twice in a year. The celebrations go on for 9 days and the devotees of Maa Durga or Goddess Durga worship Her with great devotion & enthusiasm to seek Her blessings. Many rituals are followed by people during these 9 days. People from across the country observe ritualistic fasts, worship all forms of the Goddess with elaborate rituals.
These are considered as the most auspicious days when all the 9 forms of Goddess Durga are worshipped, which are as follows:
- Maa Shailputri
- Maa Brahmacharini
- Maa Chandraghanta
- Maa Kushmanda
- Maa Skandmata
- Maa Katyayani
- Maa Kaal Ratri
- Maa Mahagauri
- Maa Siddhidatri
Maa Brahmacharini is worshipped on the second day of Navratri celebrations. According to the holy Hindu scriptures, the Goddess signifies loyalty, wisdom, knowledge, and selfless love. Therefore, the one who worships Her, gets blessed with all of these traits.
Date of the 2nd day of Navratri 2023: 16th October 2023
Story Behind the 2nd Day of Navratri
According to the Hindu Scriptures, Goddess Sati immolated Herself in the Yogic fire because She was not able to bear the insult that Her father did to Lord Shiva (Her husband). She took rebirth and was incarnated as Parvati or Shailputri, the daughter of the King Himalaya. Maa Parvati wanted to marry Lord Shiva at any cost and as a result, she walked on the path of severe austerities for thousands of years. She used to eat only flowers and fruits and later even stopped eating that and lived only on air. She slept on the ground and walked on the path of the ‘Tapasya’ for several years and thus, was named Tapascharini or Brahmacharini (a female who observes austerities with full devotion for years).
Maa Brahmacharini Puja Significance
- Navratri is the most significant festival for all the devotees of Goddess Durga. The 2nd Day of Navratri is devoted to Goddess Brahmacharini. On this day, the Goddess is worshipped with full devotion and elaborated Puja rituals by the devotees. It is believed that Maa Brahmacharini rules over planet Mars in Astrology.
- The one who worships Goddess Brahmacharini is blessed with great knowledge and wisdom. Worshipping Her makes the person emotionally stronger and it even eradicates the malefic effects of planet Mars in one’s Kundli.
- It inspires an individual to hold on to ethics and walk on the path of principles. Worshipping Maa Brahmacharini helps the devotees move forward in life after overcoming obstacles in life. Her blessings make the native free from ego, selfishness, laziness, etc.
- One must worship Maa Brahmacharini to make his/her life a blessing. If you think that misfortune strikes you quite often and you are not able to achieve what you really want in life, then worshipping Maa Brahmacharini would be really beneficial for you as it will bring Her grace in your life.
Maa Brahmacharini Puja Vidhi
- For performing the Puja, one needs to first wash the idol of Goddess Brahmacharini. For bathing the idol, one will require milk, curd, sugar, honey, paan, and Supari. After the offerings, one should pray to the Navgrahas and his/her Ishta Devata.
- Then offer Roli, Akshat, Sandalwood, and some flowers to the Goddess. After offering all these items, keep some flowers in hand and pray to the Goddess while chanting these mantras.
“दधाना कर पद्माभ्याम अक्षमाला कमण्डलू। देवी प्रसीदतु मई ब्रह्मचारिण्यनुत्तमा।।”
“Dadhana kara Padmabhyama Akshamala Kamandalu Devi Prasidatu Mayi Brahmacharinyanuttama”
- Then, offer a garland to Goddess (Maa) Brahmacharini. One should make sure that this garland should be of lotus and hibiscus flowers. Then, perform the aarti, offer sweets or some simple sugar as Bhog to the Goddess, and attain Her blessings.
The following mantra must be recited on the 2nd day of the Navratri to evoke the blessings of Maa Brahmacharini:
या देवी सर्वभूतेषु माँ ब्रह्मचारिणी रूपेण संस्थिता। नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमो नम:।।
“Ya Devi Sarvabhooteshu Maa Brahmacharini Roopen Sansthitaa. Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namah”.
Maa Brahmacharini’s Stuti Path:
त्रिपुरा में हृदयं पातु ललाटे पातु शंकरभामिनी।
अर्पण सदापातु नेत्रो, अर्धरी च कपोलो॥
पंचदशी कण्ठे पातुमध्यदेशे पातुमहेश्वरी॥
षोडशी सदापातु नाभो गृहो च पादयो।
अंग प्रत्यंग सतत पातु ब्रह्मचारिणी।
Tripura mein hrdayan paatu lalaate paatu shankarabhaaminee.
Arpan sadaapaatu netro, ardharee ch kapolo.
Panchadashee kanthe paatumadhyadeshe paatumaheshvaree.
Shodashee sadaapaatu naabho grho ch paadayo.
Ang pratyang satat paatu brahmachaarinee.
This nine-day long celebration has great importance in the hearts of the people across the country. Remember, that not always things can go as smoothly as you want them to happen and there are times when you look for solutions. But, these 9 days are the most auspicious days of the year, according to Hindu Calendar and a Puja performed in these 9 days will surely bring favorable results.
Navratri Pujas to Seek Maa Durga’s Blessings
There are many pujas (Vedic worship rituals) mentioned in the holy Hindu scriptures to please all forms of Maa Durga also known as Nav Durga. These pujas are extremely powerful rituals that open up the doorway to Devi’s grace & blessings in the life of a devotee.
One such puja which is widely opted for by the devotees is the 9 Day Durga Saptashati Path with Hawan.
Now, performing Navratri Pujas (including the 9 Day Durga Saptashati Path with Hawan) strictly in-accordance with all the Vedic rules & rituals on your own would not be easy for most of the people. Therefore, ‘Indian Astrology’ offers you the opportunity to book any or all of the Navratri Pujas that it offers.
The pujas will be performed in your name by a highly learned Brahmin priest while following all the Vedic rules & rituals. Furthermore, you will be provided with the video recording of the puja that would be performed on your behalf.
So what are you waiting for?
Get the immensely auspicious blessings of all the forms of Goddess Durga and steer your life towards success, joy, bliss and prosperity!
Indian Astrology wishes you and your family a Happy Navratri!