Hartalika Teej 2023: Story, Importance, Fast & Worship Guide
Hartalika Teej is a Hindu festival celebrated by both married women as well as unmarried girls from the Hindu faith in India. This festival is celebrated each year with unparalleled devotion & joy on the Tritiya Tithi (Third Date) of the Shukla Paksha (Waxing Phase of the Moon) in the month of Bhadrapada as per the Hindu Lunar Calendar. Hartalika Teej marks the sacred union of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Women, in-line with the tradition that has been followed for thousands of years, keep a ‘Vrat’ or fast on this festival and immerse their hearts in the devotion of Lord Shiva & Goddess Parvati. Specific Puja (worship) rituals are performed by women on Hartalika Teej that are believed to result in the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati for leading a blissful married life.
During Hartalika Teej, all women dress in traditional attire, apply henna on their hands, and adorn themselves with jewelry. Learn Astrology Online from “Indian Astrology” and become a Professional Astrologer!
Date and Timings of Hartalika Teej 2023
In the year 2023, Hartalika Teej will be celebrated with great enthusiasm on Monday, 18th September. The auspicious time for the puja will be from 6:07 AM to 8:34 AM, lasting for 2 hours and 27 minutes.
The third day (Tritiya) of this festival starts on 17th September 2023 at 11:08 AM and continues until 2:39 PM on 18th September 2023. However, the festival of Hartalika Teej 2023 will be celebrated on the 18th September.
Why is the worship of Lord Gauri-Shankar performed on Hartalika Teej in Hinduism?
In Hindu culture, on the day of Hartalika Teej, the worship of Lord Gauri-Shankar is conducted because this festival symbolizes the divine union of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. According to Hindu mythological stories, Goddess Parvati observed intense austerities and fasted to attain Lord Shiva. During this time, She remained immersed in meditation for several years. Eventually, Lord Shiva appeared before Her and accepted Goddess Parvati as His wife.
As part of an age old tradition, women on this festival perform the Puja (worship) of Lord Shiva & Goddess Parvati or Gauri and observe a vrat or fast to propitiate the Two with an aim of seeking Their blessings for a married life that is full love, joy, bliss, trust and harmony! It must be noted that Lord Shiva is also known by the name of Shankar and Goddess Parvati by the name of Gauri. Hence, the Puja that is performed by women on this festival is also known as or popularly referred to as the ‘Gauri-Shankar Puja’.
To make the most of Hartalika Teej, get the Rudrabhishek Puja being performed in your name to further enhance the grace & blessings of Lord Shiva in your life.
During the puja, women worship Lord Gauri-Shankar and seek blessings for the well-being of their husbands and families. Married women offer milk, flowers, fruits, and sweets to the deity and perform an Aarti (ritual of waving lamps) to express their devotion. In this manner, the worship of Lord Gauri-Shankar is performed on Hartalika Teej, as they represent the divine union of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, and their blessings are considered auspicious for a happy and harmonious married life.
Here is the procedure to perform the Gauri-Shankar Puja on Hartalika Teej 2023:
- Make the puja room, place or altar in your home neat & tidy and positively energize the space by sprinkling some ‘Gangaajal’ (water from the Holy Ganges).
- Place the idol or picture of Lord Gauri-Shankar and adorn it with a garland of flowers.
- Light a ‘Diya’ or lamp by using ‘ghee’ prepared from Cow’s milk alongside lighting natural or herbal incense sticks in front of the idol/picture of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati or in other words- Lord Gauri-Shankar.
- Offer fresh flowers to the deity and chant the "Om Gauri Shankaraya Namah" mantra.
- As a gesture of offering, present fruits, sweets, or any other prepared food as Prasad to Lord Gauri-Shankar.
- After offering Prasad, perform an Aarti (waving of lamps) using a ghee lamp or camphor and chant the Aarti mantra.
- Seek blessings from Lord Gauri-Shankar for a happy and joyous married life.
- Break your fast by consuming the Prasad that was offered to the deity and have a simple meal.
- By following this procedure, you can perform the Gauri-Shankar Puja on Hartalika Teej 2023 to seek the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati for a blissful married life.
Benefits of celebrating Hartalika Teej
Hartalika Teej is considered an auspicious festival celebrated by women in India, especially in the northern states. It falls on the third day of the bright fortnight (Shukla Paksha) of the Hindu month of Bhadrapada, usually in August or September. On this day, women observe fast and perform puja to seek the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati for a happy and long-lasting married life.
It is believed that observing the Hartalika Teej fast brings several advantages, especially for married women. This fast results in a happy married life as it strengthens the bond between husband and wife. Women complete the fast without consuming food or water throughout the day. It is believed that this fast bestows good health and a prosperous married life on the devotee.
Furthermore, this fast is considered beneficial for purifying the body and mind. It is believed to improve the immunity and digestion of the individual. Hartalika Teej is a great time when women celebrate this festival with devotion in their hearts and establish a strong bond of care & support with other females. The vrat or fast observed on this festival and the puja ritual helps in developing a strong spiritual connection with the Divine in the form of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. It is said to increase devotion and surrender to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
It is believed that seeking the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati on Hartalika Teej removes all obstacles from life and brings success and prosperity along with a blissful marital domain in life.
The Legend of Hartalika Teej
Hartalika Teej is one of the most important women centric festivals celebrated with immense joy & devotion by women of the Hindu faith in India. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati and commemorates the joyous occasion of Their divine union. Hartalika Teej is celebrated by both married women as well as unmarried girls to seek the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati for leading a harmonious & loving married life. Married women pray for the sound health & long life of their husbands while unmarried girls seek the blessings of getting a loving & caring husband in life.
According to a mythological tale, Goddess Parvati desired to marry Lord Shiva. However, her father, King Himalaya, wished for her to marry Lord Vishnu. Determined to marry Lord Shiva, Goddess Parvati decided to undertake severe austerities. She left Her home and went to the forest to meditate.
In the meantime, Her father arranged Her marriage with Lord Vishnu, and when he learned about Goddess Parvati's austerities, he sent his soldiers to bring Her back. However, Goddess Parvati's friend, Swati, assisted Her in reaching Lord Shiva's abode.
Pleased with Her devotion and austerities, Lord Shiva agreed to marry Goddess Parvati. Thus, Hartalika Teej symbolizes Goddess Parvati's devotion to Lord Shiva and the celebration of Their divine wedding bond.
The term "Hartalika" is derived from two words, "Hart" meaning abduction and "Aalika" meaning female friend. According to the legend, Goddess Parvati's friend Swati helped Her evade Her father's soldiers. Therefore, on this day, women dress in traditional attire and celebrate the bond of friendship between Goddess Parvati and Her friend Swati.
On Teej, Wear Sarees According to Your Ascendant Sign's Color
- For Aries women, on Hartalika Teej 2023, wearing a red-colored saree is auspicious, as red symbolizes passion and energy, aligning with the spirited nature of Aries.
- Taurus is an Earth sign, and green represents nature and growth. Hence, on Hartalika Teej, Taurus women should opt for a green-colored saree.
- Gemini is an Air sign, and yellow represents the Sun, signifying warmth and vibrancy. Thus, on Hartalika Teej, wearing a yellow saree is auspicious for Gemini women.
- Cancer is a Water sign, and blue symbolizes purity and tranquility. On Hartalika Teej, Cancer women should choose a blue-colored saree.
- Leo women should wear an orange-colored saree on Hartalika Teej.
- For Virgo women, red-colored sarees are considered suitable for the occasion of Teej.
- Libra women should wear a pink-colored saree on Hartalika Teej.
- On Hartalika Teej, Scorpio women should don a maroon-colored saree.
- Sagittarius women should opt for a red-colored saree on Hartalika Teej.
- Capricorn women are advised to wear green-colored sarees on Hartalika Teej.
- Aquarius women should choose a pink-colored saree for the occasion of Hartalika Teej.
- Lastly, Pisces women should wear a red-colored saree on Hartalika Teej.