Indian Astrology | 27-Aug-2019 Views: 10421
Ganesh Chaturthi or Ganesha Puja is celebrated every year in the Bhadrapada month according to the Hindu calendar of the fourth day that is a bright fortnight. Lord Ganesh is worshipped for prosperity and knowledge. As per Hindu culture, Lord Ganesha was born on this day during Madhyahan Kaal on Monday in Swati Nakshatra. This is the reason, it is considered as the main Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinayaka Chaturthi. This Festival is also known as the Kalank Chaturthi and in some regions, people also called this festival as Danda Chauth.
According to the Hindu culture, Lord Ganesha is considered as the supreme god of education, wisdom, the destructor of hurdles, prosperity, provider of security, Siddhi, peace, power, and honor. He removes all the obstacles from the life of the individual. Ganesh Chaturthi/Chavithi is celebrated with great pomp and show in states like Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, and Karnataka. Other states also celebrate this festival named as Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Delhi, and Punjab.
Significance of Ganesh Chaturthi
As per the Hindu beliefs, Lord Krishna suffered the blame of stealing Syamantak Mani. After seeing his terrible condition, Narada Ji informed him that he had seen the Moon by mistake on the day of Bhadrapada Shukla Chaturthi. That is why he got insulted. That’s the reason, one who sees Moon on this day gets blamed and insulted. On Narada’s suggestion, Lord Krishna performed the fast of Ganesh Chaturthi (also known as Vinayagar Chaturthi) and got rid of the curse. Hence, one who worships and fasts on this day gets rid of all the allegations and curse.
Though Vainayiki Chaturthi and Sankashti Chaturthi are celebrated every month during the bright and dark fortnight respectively, yet this yearly Vinayaka Chavithi is considered most auspicious because Ganesha had appeared on this day. If this Ganesh Chaturti falls on Tuesday, it is considered as Angarak Chaturthi, which helps the worshipper in getting rid of all the sins and curses. If this Sankatahara Chaturthi falls on Sunday, it is also considered auspicious Day.
Ganesh Chaturthi Muhurat 2019
- Ganesh Chaturthi 2019 Visarjan is celebrated on the Chaturthi when it is prevailing during the Madhyahan Kaal.
- If the festival falls on a Sunday or Tuesday, it is known as Maha Chaturthi (as its significant increase to a greater extent).
Importance of Ganesh Chaturthi
According to the Hindu culture, Lord Ganesh is considered as "Vighnaharta" (one who removes obstacles) and "Buddhi Pradayaka" (one who grants intelligence). Ganesh Chaturthi festival is very important for students, in order to obtain knowledge and success in their fields. Ganesh Chaturthi 2019 august is celebrated as the birthday of Lord Ganesh, the elephant-headed son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Lord Ganesh is the symbol of Knowledge, prosperity and good fortune. Ganesh Chaturthi 2019 date in India calendar is 2nd September 2019, and Anant Chaturthi 2019 will be on the 12th of September.
Ganesh Chaturthi 2020 date in India calendar
In 2020, Ganesh Chaturthi will be on 22nd August, and Anant Chaturdasi will be on the 1st of September.
Buy 30 Year Horoscope Report at best Price
Celebration of Ganesh Chaturthi in Different states
This festival is mainly celebrated in the western Indian state of Maharashtra. People wait for this Festival the whole year to celebrate it with great enthusiasm. Lord Ganesha is worshipped all over India by the Hindus as he is the Lord of wisdom, prosperity and good fortune. Though the Ganesh festival is the biggest gala in the state of Maharashtra. The celebrations get started before the 2-3 months of the festival. In Maharashtra holiday is declared on the auspicious occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi. Blood donation camps, medical check-ups, a charity for the poor are done, and various cultural programs and dramatic performances are arranged to celebrate this festival with great success.
The locals of Karnataka have a very unique and different way of celebrating Ganesh Chaturthi. They begin their celebrations by paying their respects to the mother of Lord Ganesha, Gauri. This festival is celebrated in various temples wherein people bow down and pray before Ganesh Ji and her mother. Also, women pray to Goddess Gauri for a long and content married life as well.
In Rajasthan, each household celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi with great zeal. Idols are placed in every house, the difference being that the natives put garlands around the idol’s neck. Along with the idol, at the entrance of the house, a thali is also placed that contains kumkum, Haldi as well as Modaks.
What rituals are observed for Ganesh Chaturthi?!
Though the festival is the same and has similar connotations across India, each region has slight variations in rituals and traditions. The celebration of Ganesh Chaturthi 2019 lasts between 7 and 10 days at different places.
Get Brihat Parashar Patrika Online
- Installation of Ganapati statue: The statue of the Elephant God is installed on a pedestal either at home or in a public place with a Pran Pratishtha Puja.
- Not looking at the moon: On the first night of the festival, people avoid looking at the moon because it is considered a bad omen.
- Prayers: Washing of the statue; puja with the chanting of shlokas and offerings of flowers and sweets; and aarti, i.e. circumlocution of the idol with a plate filled with a lit earthen/metal lamp, kumkum, and flowers, is done. Prayer meetings are also conducted at Ganapati temples and public installations every day in the evenings and in some places, in the mornings as well.
- Special performances: Some public installations of Lord Ganesh might also have performances with dance, music, and skits.
- Making and eating Modak: Modak is believed to be Ganapati’s, favorite sweet. So, these dumplings are made and distributed as prasad during the festival. Other food items such as laddoo, barfi, pedha, and sundal are also distributed during this time.
- Ganesh Visarjan 2019: At last, the immersion of the idol in a water body is conducted on the last day of the festival. It is accompanied by a procession of people chanting bhajans and shlokas and songs. People seek forgiveness for the mistakes they have done so far and request God to help them stay on the righteous path. Lord Ganesha is thanked for visiting the home/locality, for being removing obstacles from people’s path, and for the auspiciousness he bestows.
Book Now: Online Puja
Ganesh Chaturthi Puja Vidhi
- The native who is observing fast must take the idol of Ganesha made of gold, copper, mud, etc. after getting over with the daily morning rituals.
- After filling a new Kalash with water, cover its mouth with a new cloth and place Lord Ganesha over it.
- After offering 21 Laddoos as the holy food. Keeping 5 Modak for Ganesh Ji, offer the rest of them to the Brahmins and needy people.
- On this day, Siddhi Vinayak’s incarnation of Ganesha is worshipped.
One can also chant the following Mantra to eliminate Chandra Darshan Dosha
सिंह प्रसेनमवधीत्, सिंहों जाम्बवता हैः।
सुकुमारक मा रोदीस्तव, ह्येष स्यमन्तकः।।
We hope that everyone receives immense blessings of Lord Ganesha on this pious occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi.
Consult the best astrologers in India on Indianastrology.com. Click here to consult now!