Sharad Navratri 2023: Day 9 of Maa Siddhidatri & Kanya Pujan
The nine-day long festival of Navratri celebrates and worships the different forms of Goddess Durga or Maa Durga who is an incarnation of the Primordial Feminine Divine- Adi Shakti. Sharad Navratri is celebrated in the month of Ashwin and devotees worship the nine forms of the Goddess by observing fasts and performing various rituals during this 9 day-long festival.
The ninth day of Navratri is celebrated to worship Maa Siddhidatri. Her name consists of two words, Siddhi which means spiritual power and Datri which means giver. Maa Siddhidatri is known for removing ignorance and giving the knowledge to realize the Self and the Supreme.
The Appearance of Maa Siddhidatri
Maa Siddhidatri is considered to have four arms and She sits in grace on a divine lotus flower. Sometimes, She is also portrayed sitting on a lion. She holds a ‘Gada’ (Mace) in Her upper right hand, ‘Chakra’ (Divine Discuss) in the lower right hand, a Lotus Flower in one left hand and the Conch Shell in the other hand. It is also said that She has a disc of light around her golden crown. This light is considered to be the major reason for instilling devotion in the hearts of devotees towards the Supreme Power.
Date of the 9th Day of Navratri 2023: 23rd October 2023
Navratri’s 9th day will be celebrated on the 23rd of October 2023. Goddess Siddhidatri is worshipped by Deva, Gandharva, Asure, Yaksha, and Siddha too. It is said that on the ninth day of Navratri, Maa Siddhidatri bestows ‘Siddhis’ on Her devotees and this day marks the final day of the most important festival of the Hindu faith.
Significance of Maa Siddhidatri Puja
- The last day of Navratri is celebrated by worshipping the ninth form of Goddess Durga- Maa Siddhidatri.
- As the name suggests, Maa Siddhidatri is the Goddess who possesses all types of Siddhis such as Anima, Mahima, Garima, Laghima, Prapti, Prakamya, Ishitva, and Vashitva.
- Lord Shiva also worships Maa Siddhidatri in order to gain all the Siddhis. After being impressed by Lord Shiva, She made Him perfect by giving Him all Her divine powers.
- On the ninth day of Navratri, Maa Siddhidatri is worshipped. Once the day begins, devotees bathe early in the morning and worship “Navratri Kalash”. Durga Saptashati Paath is recited to worship Her and a sacred “Maha Navami” fast is observed.
Some of the devotees prefer performing the Kanya Pujan on this day of Navratri. Devotees invite and welcome nine young girls to their house and worship them. These nine girls are considered as the Nav Durga or the nine avatars of Goddess Durga. These girls are made to sit in an orderly way and are offered delicacies such as cooked Black Chana, Puris, and Halwa. Also as a part of this ritual, these girls are given gifts as well.The devotees worship ‘Kanyas’ (girls) by applying ‘Tilak’ on their foreheads and seek blessings from them by touching their feet since they represent Goddess Durga.
Maa Siddhidatri Puja Vidhi
Performing Maa Siddhidatri Puja with the proper procedures will enhance prosperity in one’s life. Following is the Puja procedure or Vidhi that one can adopt:
- In some parts of the country, the auspicious 9th day of Navratri starts by worshipping the Kanyas and offering them food and gifts.
- The nine forms of Goddess Durga are worshipped in the form of nine ‘Kanjaks’ (girls to be worshipped as Goddess Durga).
- At the onset of the day, the most important thing which needs to be done is the Kalash Puja as this helps to ward off all the negativities and help people lead a healthy life.
- The next step which must be done for Kanya Pujan is that at least 9 girls must be invited home. These girls must be below the age of 10.
- The last thing which must be done is the Aarti of Goddess Durga and these Kanyas.
Benefits of worshipping Maa Siddhidatri
Following are some of the many benefits of worshipping Maa Siddhidatri:
- Maa Siddhidatri is known to rule over the planet Ketu, therefore, Her blessings wards off the negative influence of Ketu.
- Worshipping Her results in a person achieving success and gaining immense knowledge in life.
- Her devotees lead a purposeful & meaningful life since She is the ultimate perfection and the source of power, glory, and courage.
- A person can lead a successful, healthy & blissful life by performing Puja, Hawan, and chanting Siddhidatri Puja mantras.
While worshiping Goddess Siddhidatri, an individual should chant this mantra in order to achieve peace & success in his/her life.
ॐ देवी सिद्धिदात्र्यै नमः॥
Om Goddess Siddhidatrayai Namah
Navratri Pujas to Seek Maa Durga’s Blessings
There are many pujas (Vedic worship rituals) mentioned in the holy Hindu scriptures to please all forms of Maa Durga also known as Nav Durga. These pujas are extremely powerful rituals that open up the doorway to Devi’s grace & blessings in the life of a devotee.
One such puja which is widely opted for by the devotees is the Navratri Maha Hawan & Kanya Pujan.
Now, performing Navratri Pujas (including the Navratri Maha Hawan & Kanya Pujan) strictly in-accordance with all the Vedic rules & rituals on your own would not be easy for most of the people. Therefore, ‘Indian Astrology’ offers you the opportunity to book any or all of the Navratri Pujas that it offers.
The pujas will be performed in your name by a highly learned Brahmin priest while following all the Vedic rules & rituals. Furthermore, you will be provided with the video recording of the puja that would be performed on your behalf.
So what are you waiting for?
Get the immensely auspicious blessings of all the forms of Goddess Durga and steer your life towards success, joy, bliss and prosperity!
Indian Astrology wishes you and your family a Happy Navratri!