Basant Panchami 2024: Date, Significance for Students & Puja Muhurat
Basant Panchami, also known as Vasant Panchami, marks the beginning of the spring season in India. It usually occurs in late January or early February on the Gregorian calendar, on the fifth day of the bright half of the Hindu lunar month of Magha. Basant Panchami will fall on a Wednesday, 14th February, 2024.
Date and Tithi Timings
As per the Hindu calendar, the festival of Basant Panchami in 2024 will be celebrated on the following date:
Date: Wednesday, 14th February, 2024
The ideal time to perform Basant Panchami puja would be between 07:04 AM to 12:30 PM on 14th February 2024.
Significance of Basant Panchami
Basant Panchami holds special significance in Hindu culture for a number of reasons:
- Start of Spring Season: Basant Panchami heralds the start of the spring season, known for its beautiful and blooming nature. The vibrant yellow mustard flowers in full bloom are characteristic of this season.
- Birthday of Goddess Saraswati: The festival marks the birth anniversary of Goddess Saraswati, the Hindu deity of wisdom, knowledge, music, art and learning. She symbolizes the free flow of wisdom and consciousness.
- Beginning of New Year: For some communities in India, Basant Panchami signifies the start of the new year. People buy new clothes, meet loved ones and pray to God for prosperity in the coming year.
- End of Winter Gloom: The lively spring season ends the dull, cold and gloomy winter atmosphere. People celebrate the vibrant change of seasons.
- Kite Flying: In many parts of India, flying bright, colorful kites is an important Basant Panchami tradition. The vibrant kites dancing in the sky symbolize the festive spirit.
Importance for Students
Since Goddess Saraswati is the deity of knowledge, learning and wisdom, Basant Panchami holds special significance for students. On this day, children begin their education by participating in a ceremony called Akshar-Abhyasam. Contact ‘Indian Astrology’ to book the Saraswati Puja to be performed on your behalf or in the name of your child on the auspicious occasion of Basant Panchami.
Parents arrange for the child's first writing session, where the toddler holds a chalk or pen for the first time in their lives. By guiding the child to write the first letters of the alphabet, parents pray to Goddess Saraswati to bless the child with knowledge and wisdom. Students also pay respect to books, musical instruments, and anything associated with learning.
Many schools organize special prayer ceremonies for their students. Children dress up in traditional Indian yellow or orange-colored clothes. They pay respect to books and musical instruments as embodiments of Goddess Saraswati. Students also put together plays, skits, songs, dances and music performances as offerings to the Goddess.
The vibrant, cheerful and auspicious beginnings of Basant Panchami set the tone for a student's educational journey ahead. The day reminds everyone about the importance of wisdom, learning and nurturing knowledge.
Basant Panchami Puja Muhurat
Here is the ideal Basant Panchami puja muhurat in 2024 for performing the Saraswati puja at home or in educational institutions:
- Basant Panchami Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2024
So the ‘Shubh Muhurat’ or auspicious timing on Basant Panchami 2024 will be between 07:04 AM to 12:30 PM on February 14th, 2024. This is the best time for Saraswati Puja on this auspicious occasion.
Basant Panchami Puja Vidhi
Here is how Goddess Saraswati is worshipped on the auspicious day of Basant Panchami:
- The puja altar is cleansed and Saraswati idol or image is placed for worship. Some people also place statues or images of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi along with Goddess Saraswati.
- The deity is bathed with panchamrita and clothed in yellow or white traditional garments.
- Offerings of yellow flowers, fruits and sweets are made amidst chanting of Saraswati mantras. Incense sticks and lamps are also lit.
- Devotees wear yellow or orange clothes and offer prayers to the Goddess. They seek Her divine blessings for wisdom, education and spiritual enlightenment.
- Hymns and bhajans dedicated to Goddess Saraswati are sung by devotees, emphasizing knowledge and the illuminating nature of the deity.
- In schools and colleges, books, musical instruments, stationary or gadgets associated with learning are placed near the goddess and worshipped.
- Traditional vegetarian feast is prepared and later offered to the deity as prasadam, which is then distributed amongst devotees.
The vibrant Basant Panchami festival filled with the color yellow, celebrations of nature’s beauty and Goddess Saraswati’s divine wisdom sets up a cheerful and auspicious start to the year for all. The atmosphere brims with the festive spirit of joy and enrichment of knowledge.