Staircase puzzle in Feng Shui
While designing a building the word “Staircase
“puzzles every household, designer, consultant, and builder. A large numbers of taboos are attached with the designing and placement of staircase in a house. Staircase is the place where people go up and down. It connects the various levels of the building. Through it the ‘CHI’ moves from one level to another. The energy is constantly moving up and down in staircase. If CHI quality is weak and it moves very fast or it is blocked or unable to move to another level or it get polluted, the residents of the house can not enjoy good health and fortune. Feng shui offers very simple solution to this puzzle. Following are some guidelines for designing and placement of staircase.
Placement of staircase
• The staircase must not be in the centre of the house. It is like a knife stuck in the heart. The residents may feel stressed all the time.
• The staircase either top or bottom should not face the main door or very close to it as the chi will be pulled in and siphoned up to the next floor. Thereby creating an imbalanced rush of chi to the next floor and depriving the ground level of the much needed flow of chi (energy). Further it will pull the energy out of the main door very quickly carrying along with it the finances, energy and health of the residents.
• The staircase should not start or end in front of a toilet. It should not face a toilet door.
• The staircase should not face a bedroom door.
• The staircase should not face another staircase and should avoid having main staircase in living room.
• The staircases are better located on left side facing outwards i.e. the DRAGON side of the building.
• Most importantly try to locate the staircase in inauspicious sectors as per the Flying Star System of Feng Shui to press down the bad luck caused by inauspicious stars. Take proper consultation from experienced practitioner.
Designing of staircase
• DUAL staircases i.e. one form the right and one from the left of the central door or hallway not auspicious for the smaller buildings as the CHI is too quick to leave the home. If building is large like hotel etc., no problem with this design.
• The staircase should not be straight; rather they should be gently curving thus embracing the energy that comes through it.
• Avoid opening or hollow at the back of each step as it suggest leakages.
• Dilapidated stairs and unstable railing are not good.
• Avoid carpeting stairs with RED colour as it brings misfortunes.
• Avoid water under the stairs as it hurts success of the next generation of the family. Similarly avoid having temple or study table under the stairs.
• Staircase can be of metal, wood or earth elements depending upon its location. Metal is suitable in NORTH, wood is suitable for SOUTH,SOUTH-EAST and EAST, while Earth element is suitable in NORTH-EAST, SOUTH-WEST and NORTH-WEST direction.
• SPIRAL STAIRCASE may be quite charming and aesthetically pleasing in your home but a BIG NO to it. These resemble Cork-screw impact. It can damage your health particularly the heart and coronary diseases. If a spiral staircase already existed in a house you moved in , this is a slightly better situation. If you construct it, it is like creating health problems for life long.
• MANDARIN DUCK Stairs are that spilt and go into two different directions.One leads upstairs to the next floor while the other leads to a lower level like basement. This layout divides the CHI ,thus confusing its natural tendency to move forward. This creates disharmony among family members, employees and boss. Separation, divorces,lot of fightings are also very common in such houses.Sometimes lack of focus can also occur.
• NUMBER OF STEPS:- Traditionally there are two methods of determining number of steps.
1. Three step cycle method under which step 1 and 2 are auspicious and step 3 in inauspicious. As per this method following number of steps are auspicious : 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 38, 40, 41
2. The Four step cycle method under which step 1 and 2 are auspicious and step 3 and 4 are inauspicious. As per this method the auspicious number of steps are : 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 17, 18, 21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37, 38, 41
By combining both the methods we get following number of steps which are auspicious: 1, 2, 5, 10, 13, 14, 17, 22, 25, 26, 29, 34, 37, 38, 41.
Note that each step including the step at landing is counted.
• The staircase should be wide and well lit all the time.
• A crystal chandelier just before the start of the staircase does wonders.
• Place a pair of Fu-dogs on either side of the staircase to protect against bad energy going forward.