To pinpoint the area of affliction an astrologer requires great skill, proper knowledge of subject, diligence and sincerity on the part of astrologer as well as the consultant. To pinpoint a specific disease one is likely to suffer from and that too well in advance is not possible for a well versed physician or even a renowned surgeon even. A medical specialist can arrive at the final conclusion only after the disease has struck and patient comes with some problem and after that he or she is required to undergo a series of various types of medical tests. But an eminent astrologer who is well conversant with astrology has the ability to forewarn about it well in advance by going through the horoscope and using his/ her skills. Now we shall discuss the parameters required to decipher a horoscope and these will be discussed step by step as under:
1. Lagna and lagna Lord : The most important house in any horoscope is the 1st house or the lagna along with lagna lord. Thus 1st house or the lagna is the foundation of any horoscope which withstands the impact of all the remaining 11 houses. Hence it is a boon to have a strong lagna and lagna lord. The first house of horoscope is known as ascendant or the lagna. It is further termed as "Tanu Bhava" since it depicts the personality and all about the well-being of any native. Each house of a horoscope signifies so many things. We shall restrict ourself to the body parts as indicated by various houses and that too in a short form and these are as under:
|1st || Body in general, head, brain and complexion.|
|2nd || Face, Mouth, Teeth, Speech, Right eye in case of male and left eye in case of females.
|3rd || Throat, Right Ear, Neck, Shoulders, Right Arm etc.|
|4th || Chest, Lungs and Breast.|
|5th || Upper abdomen, Head and Mind.|
|6th || Midgut, Lower abdomen, Kidneys etc.|
|7th || Umbilical Region, Pelvis, Internal Urinary Tract.|
|8th || External Genitalia, Rectum etc.|
|9th || Hip Joint and Thighs.|
|10th || Knee joint and Patella.|
|11th || Legs, Left Ear and Left Arm.|
|12th || Feet, Left Eye in case of males and Right Eye in case of females etc.
This is a shorter form of list of various body parts. As a matter of astrological principles the house which contains its own lord and lord of lagna, that house as well as the body parts as indicated by that house remain intact and healthy.
2. Navamsha : Navamhsa is one of the most important divisional chart. It is one ninth division of lagna and planets as well. The span of one navamsha is equivalent 3°20' which is exactly equal to one quarter of a nakshatra. Because of the nakshatra's importance in predictive astrology, navamsha is equally important as its span of its extension arc is just equivalent to one quarter/charan of a nakshatra. Navamsha chart is most important amongst all the divisional charts hence it has been always advocated that a natal chart should always be studied along with the navamsha chart. For medical astrology purposes, 64th navamsha is most important which falls in the 8th house from the natal Moon, however some classics advocate that 64th navamsha should be reckoned from the natal ascendant as well. The lord of 64th navamsha is considered as fatal one in case a fatal dasha is operational but in case of a favourable dasha this lord during its major period or bhukti will bring in ill health. The quantum of seriousness of disease depends upon many things.
3. Drekkana : Drekkana is one third division of the natal ascendant and planets as well. The extension arc of each Drekkana is 10* hence each house contains three Drekkanas. Here again 22nd Drekkana is considered fatal this Drekkana again falls in the 8th house from the natal ascendant.
4. Affliction : In case a specific house, its lord and the relevant significator suffers affliction the body part as signified by that very house and significator tends to suffer. The intensity of damage depends upon the strength or weakness of the house, the house lord and the significator. In general a house is considered afflicted when it is:
a. Occupied by a malefic planet.
b. Aspected by a malefic planet.
c. Owned by a malefic planet.
d. Cusp of the house ruled by a malefic planet.
Same way a planet, house lord and the significator gets afflicted when ever :
- All the above three suffer affliction whenever these are associated with a malefic planets.
- All the three suffer affliction whenever these are aspected by malefic planet/planets.
- All the three or two out of three are placed in any of trik bhavas viz. 6th ,8th or 12th or associated with the lords of these trik bhavas.
- Placed in the signs owned by the malefic planet/planets.
- Placed in the nakshatras of planet/planets who have lordship over these evil houses.
On the contrary a house, house lord and significator is considered strong when it is:
- Placed in its own house/sign or its sign of exaltation.
- A vargottama planet has an edge over a planet in its own sign.
- If these are associated with benefic planet/planets.
- If these are aspected by benefic planets.
- Associated with auspicious houses by placement or by conjunction with the lords of auspicious houses.
- The said planets are occupying auspicious houses in navamsha chart.
A word about 11th house : Almost every astrologer has a great respect for the 11th house whenever it comes into mind. However experience shows otherwise viz. the 11th lord, the planet placed in the 11th house or the planet/planets associated with the 11th lord do give the native financial gains or professional elevation but at the same time they give serious health related problems during their major or sub period. 11th house being 6th from the 6th is an epicenter of serious illness.
Marvels of Astrology Through Live Example: No rule is valid or complete until it is applied in real life. Hence to prove the validity of "Marvels Of Vedic Astrology" we shall discuss a real life horoscope. In the exampled case on the basis of planetary position and using various tools available in year 2003 the native was strictly warned that he is going to suffer from some serious eyes related problem in the month of October 2005 and just look at the correctness of prediction made pinpointing a specific disease which, I presume, is not possible for the best available physician or surgeon.
- Lagna Gemini rises at 12deg.17mnts in Ardra nakshatra whose ruler is Moon
- Lord of Lagna Mercury is placed in 10th house, the best kendra in any horoscope.
- Apparently Mercury is placed in sign of debilitation but gets its debilitation cancelled by being in its own nakshatra Revati.
- Lagna by being in the middle of house (Madhya Bhava) is strong.
- Lord of lagna by being in kendra is also powerful.
As per the rules of astrology please observe as under:
- For a day born native the Sun in 11th house removes crores of faults, these are the views of Sage Garga. In this case this rule applies.
- Malefics Mars, Sun, Saturn and Rahu/Ketu are good if they are placed in houses 3rd, 6th or 11th and in this case Mars is placed in 3rd, Ketu in 6th while Sun is placed in 11th house. Sun is exalted over here.
- Lord of 3rd has exchanged its sign with the lord of 11th Mars and the Sun. Thus giving strength to the horoscope.
- When a planet is placed in its own sign its second sign gets strengthened.
These are the views of Parashara. In this case Saturn is occupying its Mooltrikona sign in the best trine viz. 9th house ,while Venus is occupying its own sign in 12th house thus giving strength to 5th house which is having its mooltrikona sign. Every classic writes that irrespective of sign rising in ascendant Venus is good in 12th house.
- Whenever a planet aspects its own sign significations of that house increase. Here Mercury, lord of lagna is aspecting its own sign in the 4th house thus giving strength to the 1st and 4th house.
- Moon is occupying its own sign in the 2nd house thus giving strength to the 2nd house. Further Moon is Pakshabali strong.
These are all the positive points present in the horoscope which made the native a powerful person. But here the point of discussion is medical astrology hence we shall deal with those points only. Houses related to eyes are 2 and 12. Planets related to eyes(significators) Sun, Moon and Venus.
2nd house is occupied by its own lord viz. Moon but Moon and 2nd house are under the aspect of Moon's worst enemy Ketu and that too from 6th house, the house of disease.
12th house is occupied by its own lord Venus, another karaka for eyesight who is afflicted by Rahu due to association, by Ketu's aspect and by the association of Jupiter, though the best benefic, but a maarka (killer) due to lordship over the 7th house and above all a badhka (obstructing) planet for this lagana.
Sun, though very well placed has been spoiled by a powerful Saturn. Saturn is worst enemy of the Sun and natural karaka of disease. Thus the 2nd house, lord of 2nd, 12th house, lord of 12th and all the kaarkas viz. Moon, Sun and Venus are heavily afflicted in the natal chart.
Navamsha : In navamsha Moon and Venus are weak since both are being aspected by Saturn and Rahu while Ketu is conjunct with them. Sun is under the aspect of Rahu.
Drekkana : Sun is aspected by exalted Saturn while Moon is under the aspect of Ketu, Venus is placed in the 8th house and it is being aspected by Rahu.
Transit : At the time when disease was diagnosed Saturn was transiting over the natal Moon in the 2nd house. This transiting Saturn was aspecting Sun by its 10th aspect. Rahu was in Pisces while Ketu was transiting on Virgo. Rahu was aspecting the 2nd house as well as Moon while Ketu was aspecting 12th house and Venus. This malefic transit effect on the relevant houses, planets and significators flared up the disease.
Conclusion : Thus all the relevant houses as well as relevant planets suffer heavy affliction.
Dasa and Bhukti : Native was under the major period of Sun, occupying 11th house, thus 11 th house also played its role.
Saturn's bhukti started on 28th, January 2005 and it was sub-sub period of Rahu when the native felt some problem with his vision.
On visiting a qualified eye specialist and after undergoing so many tests it was finally declared that the native is suffering from serious eye trouble. He is still under medication.